2019-2020 Winter Basketball Tryouts
You must register your child for the base level of GYBA prior to tryouts. For those kids that are selected to a Gold or Silver team, you will need to go back on the website, after being selected, and add the Gold Crown registration for your child. The base GYBA fee is $205. Those kids that are selected to a Gold Crown team will be charged an additional $315 ($520 total for Gold Crown players).
Tryouts (ALL TRYOUTS ARE AT GOLDEN HIGH SCHOOL)
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th Grade Boys/Girls: NO TRYOUTS
- 7th and 8th Grade Boys: Sunday, September 15th - 9:15 AM to 10:45 AM
- 5th and 6th Grade Boys: Sunday, September 15th - 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM
- 5th & 6th Grade Girls: Date and Time TBD
- 7th & 8th Grade Girls: Date and Time TBD
Tryouts are mandatory for all boys and girls wanting to play Gold Crown (Gold or Silver). If your child has conflicts, please communicate through your appropriate Grade Level Leader.
The tryout and team formation process is stressful. We do get that. We will strive to communicate in a timely manner and minimize anxiety for you and your child. All kids that tryout will be notified via e-mail or phone as to whether they’re being invited to play on one of the competitive teams within 10 days of the tryout. The potential tryout statuses are:
- Being invited to play on Gold
- Being invited to play on Silver
- On waiting list for one team
- Not being invited to play on any team
Those kids being invited to play will be given 48 hours to accept or decline.
For kids either not wanting to play Gold or Silver, or for kids that do not get selected for a Silver or Gold team, they will be assigned to a roster A, B & C team formed upon the closing of the 2019 - 2020 registration - Mid-October.
The following criteria will be used in evaluating boys/girls for their team placement, in order of priority:
- Kid’s skill level – This is a player’s skill level today. These kids are young and will do a ton of developing physically and skill wise over the coming years. We want to place them at a level to succeed, and continue to want to play. A player will likely not be placed based on his/her “potential”, but they’ll rather be placed to succeed, and move up as they develop.
- Parent’s attitude – If you’re a parent that feels compelled to talk about how great your kid is (we all feel that way), and not recognize or or acknowledge his/her areas for improvement, you are likely not a good fit for a Gold or Silver team. If you are uncomfortable potentially seeing your child on the bench, you are likely not a good fit. If you are compelled to coach from the stands, you are not a good fit.
- Intention to attend Golden High School. While GYBA’s focus is to provide kids with the opportunity to play basketball, the Gold Crown level of GYBA has the added goal of developing talented basketball players for Golden High School. We recognize that for some, the decision on which high school to attend is a difficult one, and that some have yet to make a final decision. We do get that. As the boys/girls get closer to high school age, this criteria will be emphasized more.
- High School articulation area – We do have kids that intend to attend GHS, however they do not attend a GHS feeder school. Gold Crown mandates that 60% of a roster attend a GHS feeder school. For an 8 player roster, only 3 can attend a school that doesn’t feed GHS. This criteria will be taken into consideration for tryouts and team makeup.